Saturday, July 23, 2011

The traveling finally came to an end!!!!!

     Well, it took roughly 18 hours, two flights, one train, five YFU volunteers, and one completely lost American (me), but the trip to my temporary host family is finally complete!  On Thursday the group of us students left Dulles Airport and flew to Frankfurt.  I hardly slept at all on that flight, and the food made my stomach hurt really bad.  Fortunately, when I got to Frankfurt I couldn't think about that because my flight to Munich left in an hour and a half and I still had to get through passport check, security, and get my boarding pass.  I had plenty of time, though, and got to Munich well.
     There we (Cristina went on the same flight as me) were met by two YFU volunteers.  It was still about four hours until the rest of the group came (our flight had gotten in at 7:30, theirs was scheduled to arrive about 11), so we had a lot of time to kill.  We basically just talked (apparently we were supposed to start using German the moment we stepped foot off the plane, but we didn't (: ) and walked around and looked at the stores in the airport.  Finally the others got there, so then we were able to get on the train and leave.  We all slept on the train ride, which was around about 2 hours long.
     In Mindelheim we were picked up by our families.  My family is the Schumachers, Ulli and Gabi, and their son Jens (the oldest who works in a hotel nearby) daughter Martina (who works in a bakery) and son Uwe (who goes to the same school as I will on Monday).  We played a board game, and then ate supper.
     I slept until 11 this morning (thank you jet lag), when Gabi woke me up with, "I think it is time you get up, or you won't sleep tonight either."  After a bit of breakfast Gabi and Jens and I went to the grocery store, and then dropped Jens off at work.  Gabi and I toured a church in a town nearby, then we came home.  There was a wedding at the church, so we couldn't walk around there too much.
     When we got home, I talked with some of my friends at home, Ann-Marie and Kristina, via Skype.  It was really nice to talk to someone in English after only hearing German for a while.  We just chatted about what's going on here, what's happening in Frankenmuth, and then we just talked for a while.  It was hard for me to grasp that she had just gotten out of bed, whereas I had been up for about four hours!  I guess that's what time changes will do for you.  After some time, I thought I should go visit with my family, so we parted ways.  Before I go down, I just thought I'd quick post something that lets everyone know that I got here safely, and gives a bit of an idea what life is here!

No comments:

Post a Comment