Friday, July 29, 2011

My excitement after the first week

     Well, now the first week of school is gone.  And it's been a week since I first got here, now.  Any special thoughts on that?  Well, let's see.  I've done so much in the last week, it's nearly impossible for me to believe that it really has only been one week!  And since I left Frankenmuth, no, that's not only a week and a few days ago.  Surely that was at least three weeks ago, if not a month!  So much has happened in the time between then and now!

     First, there was the whole leaving home thing.  Then DC.  Then the flight.  Then meeting a new family.  Then starting a new school.  And now...!  What, I wonder, will come next?  There are so many different possibilities of what could come next!  My parents already said something about maybe going hiking this weekend, if the weather's nice (which, I must say, doesn't look especially promising)!!!  That would be awesome, 'cuz I've always dreamed of hiking through the hills (small mountains compared to what we have in F'muth), and in Germany it would be especially exciting!

The group of us YFU kids here in Mindelheim for the orientation

     And I'll be honest, I'm really excited about the possibilities that I'm starting to see here in Germany.  No, I'm not talking about careers, I mean short-term possibilities!  I'm excited that, when I'm in Lehrte by my permanent family, I'll finally be able to go out and find a soccer team to join (or some other club), start making friends, and so on and so forth!  Now I'm starting to get more confident with my German, so I'm beginning to become my natural self, not this shy, quiet person who has so far been associated with my name.  I'd like to get involved already, but it wouldn't make sense to join something here when I know that after a few short weeks I'll be leaving and moving on.  So I can't wait to meet my year-long family!  Though, of course, I know already that I'll miss this family.  I'm starting to feel comfortable here, and it's getting to feel more and more like home.  Yes, I still think of Frankenmuth as my real home, but I don't feel as much like a guest (or stranger) here.

Us playing Scrabble

     This week has been really fun here.  Both yesterday and today in the Sprache class, we played Scrabble to gain more experience with words.  Well, I don't know how much better I am with words, but it's a fun way to keep learning more and more, instead of just sitting there and listening to the teacher talk, or just writing.  By the time we were finished, though, we were all down to having just a few words that had any length.  And Katrina, our teacher, had to help us a whole lot with making longer words so that the game could keep going.  It's fun, nevertheless, and I honestly hope we keep doing that.  Or that we play it here in the family.  That'd be fun, too.

Yeah, we ended up going off the board, but, as they say here, "Es passt schon."


No comments:

Post a Comment