Saturday, November 5, 2011

Zurueck zum Alltag

     It's been a while, I know.  I'm just starting to find it a bit difficult to make myself sit down and try to think of something to write about.  Because, in my opinion, there's not really anything too interesting going on.  So, you're lucky enough to get the chance to hear about my everyday (that's what Alltag means) life.  Well, at least about what's happened lately.
     The second week of break was borderline between boring and relaxing.  On Wednesday I got together with one of my friends and we made a pumpkin pie.  Or tried to.  Here they don't have pie pans, and so we had to use a cheesecake mold instead.  So the pie didn't bake all the way through.  It was still delicious, though!  Other than that, I finished a German novel (the third I've read here so far!), worked a bit on scholarships, and even got a bit of a jump on my senior year scrapbook.  And had plenty of time to just relax, go bike riding, or practice trumpet.
     On Saturday Oma came to visit, and I chatted with her for a while.  She stayed here until Thursday morning.  Sunday I helped her make Apfelkuchen.  Sort of a halfways cross between Mom's apple crisp and apple pie.  But yet, something totally different.  Still absolutely lecker (delicious), though!  I can't wait until Christmas, so I can get some recipes for cookies.  And yet, a part of me doesn't want Christmas to come.  I can't begin to imagine a Christmas without all of my cousins!  Without trips to the woods to cut wood, snowmobiling, snow forts.... It'll be strange, that's for sure.
     Tuesday I had an Erdkunde Arbeit (I guess you can say a geography test, if you prefer).  Out of 110 countries, I was asked about 24.  I had to know the name of the country, and the corresponding capital.  I was nervous about it, especially about Africa.  But when I got to it, there were only three countries I had to guess on, and four capitals that I had no clue about.  Which ones?  Ghana, Democratic Republic of Congo, Uzbekastan, and Kazakistan.  So you can understand how I might have not known them all.  Still, I was pretty pleased with myself.  I think that if I had taken the test a year ago, I would have done way worse.
     On Wednesday Mama got back from South Africa.  She was part of an exchange with a partner church in Johannesburg.  She spent all of that evening telling us stories of what she saw.
     Thursday at soccer we played Tennis Soccer.  It was really funny!  Actually it was a cross between soccer, tennis (obviously), and volleyball.  For me, it was totally new, but that didn't make it any less intriguing.
     Last night Mama, Papa, Jonathon, Mathilde, and I played Siedler, a board game.  I lost, but it was fun anyways.  Afterwards we chatted for a little while, and then went to bed.  As I fell asleep, I remember thinking we were a (sort of) family.  It was a strange feeling for me.  Though they'll never be able to be quite what the Weiss Family is for me, the Klee Familie is still dear to me.  At that moment, I knew that it's gonna be hard to leave in July.  But until I get to that day, I'm going to enjoy every day I have here.  Because I'm already at more than 100 days in Germany, and I've only got about 250 left to make memories!

No comments:

Post a Comment